Every Monday morning I get up and do the same thing… I make my hubby super happy by making his favorite pre and post workout meal. Overnight oats! They are insanely easy and fast to make, not to mention you can eat these any time throughout your day! It’s the perfect grab and go snack! They take me five minutes or less every single Monday morning and require minimal ingredients. Winning!
I know there are a million overnight oats recipes online that you can follow and use. What makes this recipe different? Well, remember I’m a health and fitness expert! Sure, you can easily find overnight oats out there that look amazing and taste great! But this recipe is perfectly macro balanced, contains less sugar, less fat and is freakin’ delicious!
This recipe makes FIVE SERVINGS so you can be prepared all week long.
There are three steps to making overnight oats blow your mind…
STEP ONE: The Perfect MACRO BASE!
Every recipe starts the same and has the same base. In order to keep your body burning through fat and building muscle, you need to fuel it correctly all day and with the right macros and food choices. So let’s break it down…
- 4 cups non-fat plain greek yogurt (I like a container of Fage 0%)
- 1 1/4 cup plain rolled oats
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (more or less depending on your texture preference)
- 2.5 tbsp whole chia seeds
- 1 tbsp vanilla
Macros per serving…
- Calories 226
- Protein 22
- Carbs 23
- Fat 4
STEP TWO: Sugar and Spice and EVERYTHING NICE!
If you love the taste of regular plain ol’ yogurt, then great! You are good to go with adding nothing to the base. I on the other hand, have a severe sweet tooth and NEED to add something fancy to my oats base in order to get them down with a smile on my face. I don’t want to add additional calories into my base because I would rather save them for the toppings. So I add a one or more of the following in order to make my perfect macros base taste like heaven…
- Sweet Base: Stevia or truvia
- Warm Maple Base: Maple syrup (no/low sugar)
- Warm Spice Base: Cinnamon and nutmeg
- Chocolate Base: Unsweetened cocoa powder
STEP THREE: Flava Flav TOPPINGS!
This is when you get to have a little fun! Now with that being said, don’t have so much fun that you screw up your “Perfect Macro Base”. Meaning, moderation is key! Choose your favorite flavor combinations to finish off this fab meal. Here are a few of my favorites WITH measurements for ONE SERVING of your oats.
Almond Joy Oats: Sweet Base
- 1 tbsp dark mini chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp drizzle of chocolate syrup
- 2 tbsp toasted coconut
- 1 tbsp slivered almonds
Raspberry Cheesecake Oats: Maple Base
- 1 tbsp cream cheese mixed with 1 tsp stevia or truvia
- 1 tsp low sugar raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup fresh raspberries
Peanut Butter and Jelly Oats: Sweet Base
- 1 tbsp low sugar jam/jelly of choice
- 1 tsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp crushed peanuts
Chocolate Fudge Oats: Chocolate Base
- 1 tbsp cream cheese, 1 tsp cocoa powder mixed with 1 tsp stevia or truvia
- 1 tbsp dark mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 tbsp drizzle of chocolate syrup
Pumpkin Pie Oats: Warm Spice Base
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (no/low sugar)
- 1 tbsp chopped pecans
- Dusting of pumpkin pie spice
Take one of these recipes (or all of them) and get to some prepping in your kitchen so you can have an awesome week full of great nutrition! I hope this helps you the way it helps our family stay on track and truly enjoy our food.