Alright! Here we go! After writing and announcing my OWN weight loss Challenge on Monday, I am pumped! If you missed it, check it out HERE!
It’s been almost a week since my third child was born and we are slowly starting to get into a groove at home. He’s sleeping better and his bodily functions are working themselves out, thank God! Moms, you know what I’m talkin’ about! Poor little things keep themselves awake because they can’t freakin’ fart and burp. How unfair is that?!
- Sidenote: Isn’t it funny how we celebrate our babies poops, farts and burps when they first enter this world? They can crap anywhere as loudly as they want and we all think it’s “adorable”. Where is that point as they get older, when we start scolding our kids for being so open? Then you become an adult, where heaven forbid, you pass gas in public! A 40 year old woman, farting and burping in the check-out line at the grocery store is definitely frowned upon! Replace with newborn baby and, Viola! Repulsion is replaced with, “Awww, it’s that sweet?”.
ANYWAY! Here it is…My Ultimate Plan of Action!
I am a MEGA nerd, btw! So obviously, I had to break this up with a detailed outline. I’m already excited thinking about it. YUP, MEGA NERD!
The NUMBERS: I am currently 14 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight. I gained 25 pounds over the course of my pregnancy and felt great about it! I stayed super active and my nutrition was nearly perfect (despite the jello and shrimp cocktail cravings, yes it happened). When we got home from the hospital, I was completely thrown from my health and fitness routine. As exhaustion, pain and fatigue set in, it became very apparent that I would have to fight hard to stay on track. Especially since I couldn’t be active with exercise! My objective the first week was to establish a healthy milk supply so I could nurse my baby with ease. I increased my calories and tried to rest as much as possible. I was determined to not have a heart attack when I looked in the mirror and realized that I still looked 6 months pregnant. My thriving little munchkin is so much more important than my vanity.
The TIMELINE: Without question, I am going to tackle my goal in 8 weeks! None of this….”take your time” or “it took 9 months to put it on, it takes 9 months to take it off”. NO! I’m a Personal Trainer and Nutrition Coach, I’ve got this! A healthy amount of weight loss per week is 1-2 pounds. This gradual loss ensures that an individual is losing body fat and not muscle, as long as their calorie and macronutrient intake is appropriate (not too much, not too little). I happen to be an expert on this but in case you are not, check us out HERE, it’s what we do!
The NUTRITION PLAN: Because I don’t want to interfere with my milk supply for my perfect little guy, I am going to keep my calorie and macro intake on the higher end of my range. It’s important to note, that you do not burn a million calories breast feeding. You burn about 20 calories per ounce of milk you produce as a nursing mother. My newborn son needs to consume about 16 ounces of milk per day to thrive in his weight gain. Therefore, I am only burning about 320 extra calories per day right now.
WEEK ONE and TWO: Starts Monday!
Activity level: Lightly active.
Workout Frequency: 5 days per week of low intensity exercise with 4 of those days involving light strength training.
Workout Duration: 20-40 minutes each depending on how my body feels each day.
Objective: Very light movement to remind my muscles to work and stay strong. After about two weeks of no exercise, your body starts to “lose fitness”. This means your muscle starts to decrease in mass and fiber counts, while your cardio fitness starts to fall flat. So the sooner you move, the less catch-up you have to do!
Workouts: Focus on light cardio by walking every day. Use my yoga ball to strengthen core, do seated upper body exercises with resistance bands and use my Favorite Hip Circles to fire lower body muscles. I’m thinking I will hit a modified version of my My Glute Activation Routine. Yes, you should be intrigued! Check it out and add it to your workout program if you really want to work those glutes!
Calorie/Macro Ranges: For Lightly Active ME!
- My calorie range: 1800-2050
- Protein Range: 128-140 grams
- Carbohydrate Range: 163-189 grams
- Fat Range: 60-69 grams
Nutrition Frequency: Consume a protein, carbohydrate and healthy fat every 3 hours throughout the day to keep my energy up and metabolism firing!
Bonus Fat Burning Strategies: Be consistent with my favorite fat blasting supplements. I have to admit, I have not been super consistent with some of these. Prenatal vitamins and milk boosting miracles have been on the forefront of my mind lately! #momissues
- Shakeology: This is a new obsession for me! I’m cutting caffeine completely for fear it would decrease milk production. I do like having that occasional cup of coffee, so I’m all about the Vegan Cafe Latte flavor! YUM! It’s the perfect meal replacement when I have to down something quite because pumpkin pie is yelling at me and needs to eat more than I do! Love how I can drink one every day and get rid of 4 other supplements because Shakeology has a zillion benefits.
- Amazing Grass Green Superfoods: Okay, I don’t exactly need this because Shakeology has super greens already! However, I am not a veggies person and I know this extra boost will help my body stay on track and burn fat! Check it out on Amazon for the best price! Amazing Grass Green Superfoods
- Wake Up Call: Throw down a detox “tea”. Combine mug of hot water, splash of lemon and 2 ounces of unsweetened cranberry juice. Yep, every morning first thing!
- Bedtime Snack: I’m all about eating a healthy fat and protein before bed. This is a slow digesting fuel that triggers your metabolism to continue working through the night. Otherwise, it shuts down! No thanks! Keep burning please! It can be as simple as 3 scrambled eggs OR string cheese and salami OR a protein shake and tbsp of nut butter! I should write a blog post on this subject because most people would say, “Wait, you EAT before you go to bed?!” HELL YES I DO! I prefer to burn fat, thank you very much.
Phew! I feels good to get this all down on “paper”. I have a plan! Time to execute! Are you in? FOLLOW and SHARE now to walk with me and hit your goals as well. Let’s do this together