It’s Saturday morning at 8 am and I am pleasantly surprised that I was able to sleep in! My body is on an internal clock on normal occasions, waking me up anywhere from 5 to 6 am. As a personal trainer and coach at Orangetheory, getting up early and having my game face on is a skill I have had to master over the years.
8 am felt good today! I mean, 9 months pregnant and waking up to pee and flip over every hour during the night isn’t doing me any favors. But who cares? I did it today! HA! I started my typical morning routine and wondered…”Do others have a morning routine?” I mean, sure reading the newspaper and drinking a cup of coffee is definitely “a thing”. That’s not what I mean though. Do others have a routine that helps to reset their body and mind after a long rest? I know I do! So guess what! That’s my topic today!
Here are four simple and quick things I do every single morning to jumpstart my body and brain to work better all day
DRINK WATER! If you can wake up and immediately get 16-20 ounces of water in your body, it’s a huge win! I wake up, go to the bathroom and fill up my glass of water TWICE and guzzle it down. Easy and quick, here’s why…
- More than likely, you haven’t had water in your body for the last 8 hours. Your body is mostly water and you know that, so why not get it back in! This gives your brain FUEL to work properly again. Hopefully, the 16 ounces I just consumed is helping my writing right now….Let me know 😉
- It fires up your metabolism! Your muscles have tons of water in them. When your muscles are depleted, so is your metabolism. You are likely to burn 20 percent more calories throughout the day when you get that water down the hatch first thing in the morning. Who doesn’t want that?! That’s anywhere from 250-600 calories depending on the person.
- Flush out toxins! As you sleep, your body is put into a “repairing” state. It starts to repair all damage that has been done to your body throughout the day. Whether that’s from working out, your skin taking a beating from the environment, or even poor food choices…Your body now has all the little “fighters” repairing the damage. When this happens, those toxins are released and you need to flush them out, otherwise they will find something to stick to elsewhere in your system. YUCK!
- Creates new and healthy blood cells! With new blood cells running through you, your body will function so much better in all of your systems. This is a no-brainer! Pun intended.
STRETCH! No, I’m not talking about that stretch in bed when your arms are thrown in the air and it’s paired with a huge yawn (see cute girl on top of page). I’m talking about finding those “sticky spaces” in your body and spending 2-10 minutes getting into those spaces.
- Stretching increases blood flow, improves your circulation and boosts your energy level! All amazing reasons to invest just a little more time before your hectic morning routine begins. Remember, proper blood flow throughout your entire body is HUGE for all of your systems. However, when you have better blood flow to those muscles, you have increased energy and burn more calories every day! WINNING!
- Sharpens your brain! It’s that increased blood flow again. Most people need that cup of coffee in the morning. Ok, I have to admit that I don’t get that. I don’t ever NEED coffee, I just like the taste of it sometimes. So I suppose I am one of the lucky ones that doesn’t rely on caffeine to wake up and start my day. If you are, kick that habit if you can. Your body should wake up and function without external intervention.
- Give your body a boost in mobility! By getting into those “sticky spaces” you are giving your body a chance to move properly throughout the day. Everyone has a unique movement pattern but that doesn’t always mean its a GOOD movement pattern. Most individuals are tight in at least one area of their body. Without addressing that area, its starts to effect another area, then another after that! Pretty soon, you are a personal trainers nightmare because you can’t perform exercises correctly. Ok ok ok, yes I am speaking from experience. It’s unfortunate when a clients movement cannot be fixed because their body, simply won’t perform the way it needs to. Fix that! More on that in another post! Boy, do I have a soapbox speech on that topic!
EAT BREAKFAST RIGHT AWAY! Your body has been fasting for several hours and it’s dying for fuel! Without fuel, your body can become catabolic. Meaning, it starts to consume it’s own healthy muscle tissue. That’s BAD! Muscle tissue is incredibly difficult to build and takes a lot of time and effort. Don’t throw that away by refusing to eat until you get into the office and have a handful of cereal of a donut. Have you lost your senses? Grab a quick and healthy breakfast within 30 to 45 minutes of waking and you’re golden!
- It helps your body to absorb more nutrients throughout the day because you are kick-starting early and setting a baseline! More nutrients means a healthier you!
- Consuming a healthy and well- balanced breakfast rich with protein can help double weight loss results! You have to be consistent with this habit though! My favorite is a veggie scramble with breakfast chicken sausage, sweet potatoes and an egg over easy on top! So yummy! A quick and simple option is oatmeal with egg whites or even a protein shake instead of the eggs, if you are in a hurry.
- Eating an early breakfast has amazing long-term benefits for your health. It lowers your risk of heart disease, obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes. This is just to name a few! Be consistent and your body will thank you for it by performing better for the rest of your life.
- Having a yummy breakfast boosts your mood! Who doesn’t love breakfast food?! If you think you don’t then you need to do some more exploring. There are some amazing options out there that are delicious and nutritious to get you starting the day off right. I am always happy after I eat my breakfast because I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
SET A GOAL FOR THE DAY! We all wake up during the work week and feel we have a zillion things to do. I get that, trust me. However, when you can sweep away all the little tasks, what are a few things that are a “must-do” for you? My favorite think lately in the “Roles and Goals” method of attacking my day and my week. For example, here’s my list of roles and goals…
- Awesome wife: Sam really wants to relax WITH ME today until 3 pm (don’t know why he set that time, haha) because he’s had a crazy long work week and wants me to slow down too (weird, haha). So I am a doer and it’s hard for me to slow down and just relax when my house isn’t in order (currently isn’t with running my own company, coaching and a baby on the way with two little ones still demanding my attention). However, this is important to my husband, who is my world! So I am planning to make us a yummy breakfast and snuggle him throughout the morning and afternoon so make his heart happy.
- Dope mom: Last week my goal was to help my daughter organize her room and help my son with his homework every single day with no interruptions. So this week, my focus shifts to the nursery! I need to reorganize it after all the showers and blessings we have received. When my kids are happy, I’m happy.
- Thriving Business Owner: Today, I get to hang out with my fabulous bestie and business partner Amy to do some end of the year shopping for tax purposes. OH DARN! We are going to upgrade her lap top and grab a few more things that will help us thrive in 2018. Not to mention our accountant will be very happy!
- Self-love: While moving is freakin’ hard for me being so big and awkward. I am going to take the time and energy to get my workout in. I need to feel strong, healthy and successful with my health and wellness every day. So this is an easy one for me.
These are super simple strategies that will not only make you feel more successful with your day, but with your week and your entire life. Successful people start executing strategies in the morning! So get after it!